Many remote workers experience connection issues at one time or another. Most of these issues can be resolved with a series of simple troubleshooting steps. We have compiled common remote connection issues to help you quickly diagnose and potentially resolve connection issues as you work from home, potentially for the first time.
If you can't correct the issue on your own, AM Data Service's team of expert computer technicians is always here to assist.
Issue: Remote desktop/VPN disconnecting
- Ensure your internet connection is stable.
- If you are using a wireless connection, ensure your signal strength is strong.
Note: A wired connection is recommended, if available.
- Check that the proper amount of bandwidth is available.
- If your connection isn’t stable, contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
Issue: Cannot access shared folders
- Ensure you are connected to the Virtual Private Network (VPN).
- Folders may take a few minutes to load when first logging in. Give the system a few minutes.
- Reboot your computer.
- Contact AM Data Service if issues persist.
Issue: Delays connecting remotely
- Run a connection test to ensure proper bandwidth is available.
- Reboot router/modem.
Note: This is called power cycling. Remove the power from the device for 30 seconds and then plug the power back in. It does NOT mean you should press any sort of reset button on the device itself. Pressing the Reset button will restore the device to factory defaults, which often removes any specific configurations that may be in place on that device.
- Check to ensure other devices are not connected to the network (TV streaming, tablets, smartphones, etc.) Increased connection traffic can cause performance issues.
- Contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for further support.